Re: Duplicate entries filter

Date sent:      	Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:40:28 -0700
To:             	"Jim Sermersheim" <JIMSE@novell.com>
From:           	"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>

> The choices could be clarified as follows:
>
>   a) all entries within scope are duplicated (per the
>   control) which match the filter may be returned by the
>   server (subject to other factors)
>
>   b) all entries within scope and match the filter are
>   duplicated (per the control) and may be returned by the
>   server (subject to other factors).

I personally thought that b) was always the intention of this control.
i.e. it was to act on the way that the results of the search operation
were returned, but was not meant to affect the operation of the
search filter. If one considers that in many cases many thousands
of entries are typically filtered down to only a handful, then
duplication of the results with this control is only a small task, as
opposed to a) where we have duplication of the thousands of
entries and then the application of the filter to each of these.

This is why I was surprised to see the addition of the sentence that
I pointed out in my first message.

David

> That is, by "filtered" I meant to act of matching the
> entries against the filter, not the act of trimming results
> due to other factors.

> BTW, I'd avoid the a v. b BOOLEAN if at all possible.

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J