Re: Duplicate entries filter

At 01:26 PM 8/10/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 8/9/00 5:48:24 PM >>>
>At 04:27 PM 8/9/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:

>>Hmm, I think the wording in the draft should be changed to reflect this. Currently it says "These duplicate entries are returned to the client only if they still match the asserted search filter". That's a little ambiguous.

>Actually, I don't find that ambiguous at all... it's clearly option a).

It doesn't say anything about other factors that might cause the entry (as seen by the client) to not match the filter (like ACI).

This is intrinsic behavior of search and, unless this I-D specifically
states otherwise, is the behavior of the operation as extended
by the control.  A statement that this behavior is unaffected by
the control may be appropriate.

The choices could be clarified as follows:

  a) all entries within scope are duplicated (per the
  control) which match the filter may be returned by the
  server (subject to other factors)

  b) all entries within scope and match the filter are
  duplicated (per the control) and may be returned by the
  server (subject to other factors).

That is, by "filtered" I meant to act of matching the
entries against the filter, not the act of trimming results
due to other factors.

>>>That is,
>>>        a) all entries within scope are duplicated per the control,
>>>      then filtered.

>>>        b) all entries within scope are filtered, then duplicated
>>>        per the control.

BTW, I'd avoid the a v. b BOOLEAN if at all possible.