Re: new internet draft - LDAP Extensions Style Guide

Date forwarded: 	Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:33:13 -0700
To:             	internet-drafts@ietf.org
From:           	Bruce Greenblatt <bgreenblatt@directory-applications.com>
Subject:        	new internet draft - LDAP Extensions Style Guide
Copies to:      	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com
Forwarded by:   	ietf-ldapext@netscape.com

> Please publish the attached personal submission.  This is my first
> time using the Word template.  Hopefully, it is in a suitable
> format...  Note that this draft is not a response to anything in
> particular.  It just contains some general observations from watching
> the traffic in the ldapext mailing list, the prior ldap mailing list,
> and participation in X.500 and the long lost X.400 standardization
> efforts.  Comments are welcomed.

Bruce

one general and one specific comment regarding controls
On a general note, if the document is a style guide, it should give
people general guidelines on how to produce IDs, but should not
itself be defining new controls. i.e. the doc should only reference
existing controls and not be defining new ones such as deferRoles
and copySubtree. It should refer to other IDs in which these are
defined.

A specific point is, can you add the sentence "when defining a
control to be placed on an operation request, the specification must
clearly specify which controls (if any) are allowed to be placed in
the corresponding operation result"

David

> Bruce

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J