Re: new internet draft - LDAP Extensions Style Guide

I agree with Kurt that controls are there to modify individual
operations and therefore putting them on the Bind is a nonsense.
The client may perform some operations and not want the controls
to take effect (e.g. duplicate entries) even though it supports them.

Thus a server should not send controls to the client if the client has
not used them first on the operation. It follows from this that each
operation request control needs to clearly specify which response
controls may be applied by the server, but I guess we are already
doing this in our extensions, although sometimes it might be implicit.
This will need to be checked as the IDs move to proposed standard.

David

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J