RE: Abstract object class

That isn't what I understood Ed to be saying. If I understood Him, he was
proposing that the same Object Class with the same OID refer to different
schema in different NCs.

> >There are a couple of ways to approach the problem that I
> think are better
> >than having (potentially) different schema at each NC for
> the same class.
> >
> >1. Make the class be a DN. Then the engineering department
> and the sales
> >department can create enmtries with
> >objClass="CN=foo,OU=Eng,DC=SomeCorp,DC=com" and
> >objClass="CN=foo,OU=Sales,DC=SomeCorp,DC=com" and they won't
> conflict.
>
> I am not sure I see why the current OID scheme is any worse
> than what you
> are proposing.  In the Directory, we tend to have entries for "real"
> objects and they have a directory name.  Object Class
> definitions have OIDs
> and they are also understood by the existing X.500 implementations.

How would I have the same OID refer to different schema? If an OID only
refers

> I also do not like the name forms you are proposing.  Tying DNs to DNS
> names imposes some rather severe restrictions on the
> directory names.

Any DN would work; I just used the DC= forms as an example. Both forms are
legal. You may have objections to the DC= form, but it's orthogonal to this
issue. Let's not muddy the waters.

> >2. Make schema immutable, but subclassing and auxiliary classing more
> >flexible. Then the sales and engineering departments can
> have their own
> >classes, while the fact that there is a class in common
> won't get lost.
>
> I think that is the intent.  Being able to understand a subset of the
> information (as a client) even though the complete schema is
> not known is
> certainly desirable to me.  Using Inheritance and Auxiliary
> Object Classes
> together with a prudent selection of standard Structural
> Object Classes
> will ensure that.

That's not what I understood Ed to be proposing. If it was, then there's no
problem. I agree with your summary. And I prefer solution #2 to #1 anyway.

Paul