RE: Abstract object class

Paul,

See below.

At 10:01 98/11/06 -0800, Paul Leach wrote:

> [...]

I guess we are trying to speak for Ed here :-)  It *is* possible to do
that.  The Object Class remains the same (which is key), but it can be
combined with different Axiliary classes to form the valid schema in
different Naming Contexts.

>> >There are a couple of ways to approach the problem that I
>> think are better
>> >than having (potentially) different schema at each NC for
>> the same class.
>> >
>> >1. Make the class be a DN. Then the engineering department
>> and the sales
>> >department can create enmtries with
>> >objClass="CN=foo,OU=Eng,DC=SomeCorp,DC=com" and
>> >objClass="CN=foo,OU=Sales,DC=SomeCorp,DC=com" and they won't
>> conflict.
>>
>> I am not sure I see why the current OID scheme is any worse
>> than what you
>> are proposing.  In the Directory, we tend to have entries for "real"
>> objects and they have a directory name.  Object Class
>> definitions have OIDs
>> and they are also understood by the existing X.500 implementations.
>
>How would I have the same OID refer to different schema? If an OID only
>refers

The OID in discussion refers to an Object Class definition.  Now, if we
identified Content Rules with an OID, we could define a completely
different schema in different administrative areas of the Directory by
simply combining different Object Classes.

>> I also do not like the name forms you are proposing.  Tying DNs to DNS
>> names imposes some rather severe restrictions on the
>> directory names.
>
>Any DN would work; I just used the DC= forms as an example. Both forms are
>legal. You may have objections to the DC= form, but it's orthogonal to this
>issue. Let's not muddy the waters.

True.  I just jump on poor practices when I see them.  It's my job :-)

>> >2. Make schema immutable, but subclassing and auxiliary classing more
>> >flexible. Then the sales and engineering departments can
>> have their own
>> >classes, while the fact that there is a class in common
>> won't get lost.
>>
>> I think that is the intent.  Being able to understand a subset of the
>> information (as a client) even though the complete schema is
>> not known is
>> certainly desirable to me.  Using Inheritance and Auxiliary
>> Object Classes
>> together with a prudent selection of standard Structural
>> Object Classes
>> will ensure that.
>
>That's not what I understood Ed to be proposing. If it was, then there's no
>problem. I agree with your summary. And I prefer solution #2 to #1 anyway.

We may even converge here.

Cheers,                       ....Erik.

Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.