Re: Nick names search extension

Erik Skovgaard wrote:
I am not sure why you would want to use a control for that.  Why not just
put the nicknames in the name attribute?  The cn attribute is multi-valued
in the standard schema (I have to make this qualification given the many
different schemae that seem to be published).  Only one of the values of
this attribute is distinguished, of course, but you can search on the rest.
This doesn't sound like a terribly good way to
solve the original poster's problem.
Multivalued cn is good for things like
a person who decides to change their name,
or a person with two names by which they
are known.

However, the problem of finding the Roberts
when you ask for the Bobs seems like a matching
issue. You'd never want to precompute all
the potential aliases and add them to the
entries, would you ?
You'd potentially also want to be able
to search either looking for the alias names,
or not---both are useful to do. If you
store multiple names in cn, you've effectively
prevented one type of search.
(e.g. I want to find all the people who
are really called "Bob", not the Roberts too).