Re: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-ldapext-lang-00.txt

Steve Kille wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I had two questions about this:
>
> 1) Backwards compatibility with LDAPv3 clients that do not support
> this specification.   In particular, what is the conformant action of
> an LDAPv3 client getting back language information.

Attributes with unknown tags should be treated as unknown
attribute types. Just like if a client asked for the name attribute
and got back cn, sn, givenName, and nickName, but did
not know anything about the nickName attribute. If a client
asks for cn and gets back cn and cn;lang-fr, it should just
ignore it (or display it - the client's choice, obviously).

> 2) X.500(97) also defines language tagging.  I think that there should
> be information which ties this together.    Can LDAP language tags be
> mapped onto X.500 tags in some/any circumstances.

X.500 does this with contexts (my understanding). I'd be
happy to see someone more familiar with X.500 define
what this mapping should be.                         -- Tim