Re: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-ldapext-lang-00.txt

Tim,

 >From:  Tim Howes <howes@netscape.com>
 >To:    Steve Kille <S.Kille@isode.com>
 >Subject: Re: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-ldapext-lang-00.txt
 >Date:  Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:23:19 -0800

 >Steve Kille wrote:
 >
 >> Tim,
 >>
 >> I had two questions about this:
 >>
 >> 1) Backwards compatibility with LDAPv3 clients that do not support
 >> this specification.   In particular, what is the conformant action of
 >> an LDAPv3 client getting back language information.
 >
 >Attributes with unknown tags should be treated as unknown
 >attribute types. Just like if a client asked for the name attribute
 >and got back cn, sn, givenName, and nickName, but did
 >not know anything about the nickName attribute. If a client
 >asks for cn and gets back cn and cn;lang-fr, it should just
 >ignore it (or display it - the client's choice, obviously).

My gut reaction is that this will cause interoperability problems for some
LDAP clients.  I'd certainly be interested in the views of those that are
implemented client side products (we are server focused).

 >> 2) X.500(97) also defines language tagging.  I think that there should
 >> be information which ties this together.    Can LDAP language tags be
 >> mapped onto X.500 tags in some/any circumstances.
 >
 >X.500 does this with contexts (my understanding). I'd be
 >happy to see someone more familiar with X.500 define
 >what this mapping should be.                         -- Tim

I think that this would be useful.  I have not looked at the details.  If
someone has, I think a short note to this list, with summary added to the
text would be very very useful.

Steve