Re: DIGIT in xstring (was: models-09 comments)

At 09:03 AM 1/7/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>>At 08:45 AM 12/21/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>>draft-ietf-ldapbis-models-09.txt says:

>> BTW, that should be "X" not X.  Will fix in next revision.
>>
>>>Should xstring allow DIGIT?
>>
>> I don't any technical reason for adding DIGIT at this time.
>
>One often wants to use digits in identifiers.

These are not really "identifiers" but "protocol tokens".
(Yes, tokens identify elements of protocol, but....)

>I don't know if that's a 'technical' reason or not.

That might be viewed a technical reason to have done so in the
first place, but, I think, not a sufficiently good reason to
make the change at this time.  We should avoid making unnecessary
changes.  (Changes which are intended to resolve interoperability
or security problems can be viewed as necessary.)

>Is this syntax copied from somewhere, so a change would make
>LDAP incompatible with something?

Such a change would make older implementations of LDAP
incompatible with newer implementations of LDAP.

Kurt