DIGIT in xstring (was: models-09 comments)

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>At 08:45 AM 12/21/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>draft-ietf-ldapbis-models-09.txt says:

>>> 4.1. Schema Definitions
>>
>>>       xstring = X HYPHEN 1*( ALPHA / HYPHEN / USCORE )
>
> BTW, that should be "X" not X.  Will fix in next revision.
>
>>Should xstring allow DIGIT?
>
> I don't any technical reason for adding DIGIT at this time.

One often wants to use digits in identifiers.  I don't know if
that's a 'technical' reason or not.

Is this syntax copied from somewhere, so a change would make
LDAP incompatible with something?  Extensions in schema
definitions (which xstring is used for) are new since rfc2252.