Re: [Syntaxes] Generalized Time inconsistent with ASN.1

Michael Ströder writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>Michael Ströder writes:
>>>
>>>user (sitting in Hongkong)
>>>   --HTTP--> web gateway (Germany)
>>>     --LDAP--> LDAP server (U.S.)
>>>
>>>Which "local" time should be displayed to the user?
>>
>> Time without timezone, I think.
>
> And how should generalizedTimeOrderingMatch be implemented in this
> scenario?

Comparing local time with timezoned time would be undefined.  Well, the
server could get clever and decide that it's defined if the difference
is the same whatever timezone is used, but I see no need for such
cleverness.

Except I seem to be outvoted on this one anyway, so never mind.

>> However, time without timezone can be useful in genuinely local
>> contexts.
>
> How about allow garbage in, produce correct output?  A server
> implementor MAY decide to accept attribute values for GeneralizedTime
> without time zone. But the server MUST return the attribute value with
> time zone set, the attribute value massaged according to some local
> time zone configuration.

I don't think so.  From the user's point of view, software that tries to
be smart and silently adds 'missing' information to user input all to
often results in correct data in, garbage out.