Re: [Syntaxes] Generalized Time inconsistent with ASN.1

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Michael Ströder writes:

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

I take it making the time zone optional is too big a change for ldapbis?

user (sitting in Hongkong) --HTTP--> web gateway (Germany) --LDAP--> LDAP server (U.S.)

Which "local" time should be displayed to the user?

Time without timezone, I think.  What it means is the user's problem, if
he uses it in such a context.  However, time without timezone can be
useful in genuinely local contexts.  For example, work hours here starts
at 8:00 local time all year, but which timezone that is varies due to
daylight savings time.

I do no think we should make timezone optional. In my opinion, that is a very bad idea and will likely reduce interoperability among LDAP implementations. I agree with Michael that things are nice and simple and well understood as currently specified.

--
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development