Re: [Syntaxes] Generalized Time inconsistent with ASN.1

Michael Ströder writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>>
>> I take it making the time zone optional is too big a change for ldapbis?
>
> user (sitting in Hongkong)
>    --HTTP--> web gateway (Germany)
>      --LDAP--> LDAP server (U.S.)
>
> Which "local" time should be displayed to the user?

Time without timezone, I think.  What it means is the user's problem, if
he uses it in such a context.  However, time without timezone can be
useful in genuinely local contexts.  For example, work hours here starts
at 8:00 local time all year, but which timezone that is varies due to
daylight savings time.