Re: BDB corruption on windows port of 2.2.19

--On Friday, July 22, 2005 4:42 PM -0700 Safdar Kureishy <safdar.kureishy@gmail.com> wrote:

My usage pattern is as follows:
- At install time, the installer for our product sets up OpenLDAP and
imports some seed data into it (using slapadd), under a specific base
dn. This imported data (LDIF file) could be pretty large. This same
import will happen again at a periodic rate of X hours (most likely 24
hours). Each time the import occurs, it involves the deletion of the
previous imported data (if any) using ldapdelete, followed by
re-import of the updated LDIF data file (using slapadd), followed by a
re-start of the OpenLDAP server.
- Apart from this import, there will be very rare
modification/addition of entries in a different subtree. This is
anticipated to involve very little data and the server will not be
restarted during this type of access.
- The rest of the time, the directory is only accessed for running
searches across all the data contained under it.

Given this usage pattern, would you or anyone else be able to
suggested some appropriate bdb configuration settings (inside
slapd.conf) that I could use to prevent data corruption from an
abnormal system shutdown?

You must run db_recover after an abnormal shutdown before starting slapd. In OpenLDAP 2.3, this is done for you automatically. I have no idea what Windows does in the case of abnormal shutdowns vs. Unix however. Perhaps it just permanently corrupts things.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html