Re: SortControl class from Sun don't work??

Hi,

On Friday 06 June 2003 19:36, Mauricio Alarcon wrote:
> I use the class from sun, a mean com.sun.jndi.ldap.ctl.SortControl against
> a openldap over solaris 5.8 when I try to put Control.CRITICAL the server
> respond "[LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension]"
> then I change to Control.NONCRITICAL and returned all my record but
> unsorted.

If you mark a control critical the server has to return an error code
if it does not support the control.
If you mark the control noncritical the server is allowed to ignore
the request for the control and to act as if it was not requested.

To me your results indicate that the LDAP server you use does not support
have the Server Side Sort Control
(AFAIK OpenLDAP 2.1.x doesn't. You can always check by searching the
rootDSE of the server for the list of supported controls and see if the OID of
the Server Side Sort is among the results)

> Reviewing the list archives I saw a message from Julien Rottenberg
> (http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200202/msg00395.html) that
> speaks about OpenLDAP doesn't implement this extension. So what exactly how
> could I sort the result from the server??

You need to do the sorting manually on the client side.

> It's necesary to use the JLDAP from novell?? how?? this API works on
> openLDAP???

No, changing the JLDAP implementation won't change anything. If the
server does not support the Server Side Sort Control then JLDAP
cannot enfoce it.

Peter
--
Peter Marschall