Re: Partitions (definition)

Hi,

On Thursday 05 June 2003 16:39, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Is the word 'partition' (in the LDAP world) a 'recognised'
> word? Is there any definitions on what it is (and possibly
> it's use)?
>
> I got an explanation about a year ago (on this list), but
> reviewing it again, I find it fuzzy to say the least :)

I know the concept of partitions from Novell eDirectory
where it describes a branch of a directory that is replicated
among a set of servers.
To be exact it does not necessarily need to be a full branch.
Subordinate branches of the branch may be in their own partitions.

A partition always has exactly one top node and expands
down to all nodes below that node except where a subordinate
partition starts, which itself needs to have exactly one top node .....

If you do not have any sub-partitions you only have one partition
starting at the rootDSE.

At least that's what I made of the Novell descriptions of partitions.

Looking at it with the OpenLDAP glasses on, partitions habe a
close resemblance to databaseses. They have a top node, they
usually consist of whole branches, and they may have subordinate
databases.
The biggest difference is that the root partition in Novell does not
have an equivalent in openLDAP.

Peter

--
Peter Marschall