Re: OpenLDAP 2.5 plans and community engagement

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 05:38:21AM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> On 7/24/19, Ondřej Kuzník <ondra@mistotebe.net> wrote:
>> We would love to welcome more people to participate in the project and make it
>> more active and resilient. People of various skills and experience can make a
>> difference, I am personally happy to assist anyone who wants to contribute with
>> getting up to speed and start helping out, and for sure I'm not the only one.
>> Also OpenLDAP is about more than just C programming and I'll try to outline the
>> main areas where we want to focus our work in the short term here:
>
> I'm a long-time user, but have never really got myself involved at the
> source level, although I have ported the client tools to Plan 9, way
> back in 2.3 times(I checked 2.3.38 - I still use them "to keep me
> honest").
>
> I'll be happy to help, although OpenLDAP, like just about anything
> that is not seriously mainstream that I've done is really just a
> hobby.
>
> I've also been a very early adopter of Go, which is now my developing
> language of choice. That does define my philosophy (Plan 9, Go -
> should be quite revealing, NetBSD is my Posix preference, by far) and
> I am not at all ashamed of my "periphery" preferences.
>
> I have only a very few valuable resources I can contribute, but a long
> history of not quite taking anything for granted.
>
> My efforts keeping Graphviz running under Plan 9 were defeated by the
> adoption of a practically incompatible configuration and installation
> system and it also blocked efforts on my part to port the client tools
> from OpenLDAP 2.4: I just felt I was not up to the task.
>
> That's my CV in a few sentences. If you can find a role for me to play
> towards 2.5, I'll help. The price is dealing with scratchy personality
> and some very fixed ideas that have taken root in my head.

Hi Lucio,
if you don't feel like delving into the codebase yet and don't want to
extend the test suite either (also see the followup email on -devel that
might be of interest to you), then any work on reviewing/improving
project documentation might be useful?

Thanks,

--
Ondřej Kuzník