Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

On Jan 31, 2014, at 3:06 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Yeah, if she manages to setup AD the next thing is to teach her how to fix or
> work around replication problems.

Not the point. The argument was that OpenLDAP "is difficult to install and
setup". NOT administrate!

And my opinion (and many, many others!) have been that it is. And that there's
something huge lacking in the OpenLDAP documentation. But every time this is
brought up, all the maintainers get very hostile.

I started '99/2k with OpenLDAP, and I had huge problems understanding and
reading the documentation at the time. Most regarding the whole concept of LDAP.

Luckily, I've adapted (through years of testing) to this, so now it's reasonably
easy. But when installing the new auth VM a few weeks ago, I had forgot that
there's a problem with OpenSSL/GnuTLS (the interaction between them) so I
couldn't get SSL/TLS work. It took hours of googling the very weird and
non-discriptive errors to figure out the problem. And that of course struck a
memory cord on how to solve it...
--
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman.
You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons