Re: Re: OpenLDAP Multiple User Import --- Low Sensitivity/Aerospace Internal Use Only

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 01:01:22PM -0800, Philip Guenther wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Brian Reichert wrote:
> > Unrelated to OP's problem, I've seen LDIF files that had UTF8 characters
> > and/or weird EOL characters, that many editors will helpfully hide from
> > you.
>
> UTF-8 characters are perfectly legal in values, as documented in both the
> RFC and the ldif(5) manpage.

I misspoke; the issue I ran into was a leading BOM, not the character
encoding.  That caused grief with some tools.

> DOS-style line-endings (CRLF instead of just LF) are also perfectly legal
> (though the ldif(5) manpage doesn't mention that).  You can even mix CRLF
> and LF line-endings inside a single file.

I have a many-years-old memory of slapadd being sensitive to line
endings.  I can't quickly prove that, however.

> (Really folks, the RFC isn't that hard to read.)

All true; but my original point stands; editors can hide details
that 'od' and the like can reveal.

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large