Re: Newbie question re clients

At 2:58pm Jul 27, 2000, Lillith Lerien wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Jack Barnett wrote:

> > On openldap.org in the FAQ they have some Perl modules for accessing LDAP, I
> > haven't used them so I can't tell you how complex and/or stable they are.

> That would, iirc, be perldap, which I mentioned above as being difficult
> to install, mostly because of the trouble I've had tracking down which
> things I need to install.  (Anyone got an easy pointer to the C SDK that's
> apparently necessary for this?)

We had someone working on Perl apps to work with Sun Directory Server 1.0,
and he found some problems with one of the LDAP Perl modules. Apparently
it was messing up some data before the C SDK ever saw it. He ended up
using Net::LDAP which is apparently considerably slower but more reliable.
And, IIRC, pure Perl so you might not need the SDK. YMMV, etc.

Apparently bad:
 http://developer.netscape.com:80/docs/articles/directory/perldap_central.html
Apparently good:
 http://perl-ldap.sourceforge.net/

That said, my questions:
 - What's the deal with OpenLDAP 1.3/2.0 ? How close is it?
 - Anybody working on directories with ~ 1e6 objects? Performance tweaks?

-Peter

--
http://www.bastille-linux.org/ : working towards more secure Linux systems