Re: Newbie question re clients

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Jack Barnett wrote:

> The one thing I can't firgure out, is how to do you allow says user "Susie"
> to `read/write` to this field, but doesn't get `write` (and maybe even read)
> access to everything else? Do you know of any documents that go from "start
> to finish" on ACL concepts and tighting/fine tunning security on OpenLDAP?

If I knew that, I wouldn't be asking this question here in the first
place.  :)  Right now, everything is secure, mostly because essentially no
one has access to write anything.  This is probably a major reason why I
can't authenticate - so I just looked at the HOWTO and finally found the
important phrase "you need PAM to authenticate."  I'll see if that helps.

> Lillith Lerien wrote:
> > to find all the stuff to install for perldap (not to mention having to
> > write the interface *after* I got that done) has been difficult.  I also
>
> On openldap.org in the FAQ they have some Perl modules for accessing LDAP, I
> haven't used them so I can't tell you how complex and/or stable they are.
> Might be able to hack up a quick perl/cgi script just to update phone
> numbers?

That would, iirc, be perldap, which I mentioned above as being difficult
to install, mostly because of the trouble I've had tracking down which
things I need to install.  (Anyone got an easy pointer to the C SDK that's
apparently necessary for this?)

Lillith Lerien

Systems Administrator				e: lillith@xpresschex.com
XpresscheX, Inc.				v: 505-998-3141 x3712