Re: Newbie question re clients

> I'm running openldap on a linux box, and need to set up something so that
> the secretary, who is in charge of keeping phone lists and stuff up to
> date, can access and *change* information in the database.  She is
> non-technical, so I can't just give her root[1] on the machine and expect
> her to use ldapmodify or ldapdelete or anything like that.  Best would be
> a web interface or a windows interface (non-technical, right?).
>
> I've looked at using web2ldap, but couldn't seem to make it work (I think
> this is an issue with authentication, but it's hard to tell), and trying
> to find all the stuff to install for perldap (not to mention having to
> write the interface *after* I got that done) has been difficult.  I also
> looked at wax500, but I am having trouble authenticating.  I'd write to
> umich about wax500, but I'm not -at- umich, so you can see how that goes.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this set up?  Right now the
> database is searchable (that part is already in-use), but the only
> modification is through ldapmodify or such on the machine.
>
> Lillith Lerien
>
> [1] Not to mention how bad an idea that is to begin with.
>
> Systems Administrator e: lillith@xpresschex.com
> XpresscheX, Inc. v: 505-998-3141 x3712

You might want to check out: http://www.iit.edu/~gawojar/ldap/.  It is a
java GUI client that works on Win32 (among others)and really easy to use.

The one thing I can't firgure out, is how to do you allow says user "Susie"
to `read/write` to this field, but doesn't get `write` (and maybe even read)
access to everything else? Do you know of any documents that go from "start
to finish" on ACL concepts and tighting/fine tunning security on OpenLDAP?

On openldap.org in the FAQ they have some Perl modules for accessing LDAP, I
haven't used them so I can't tell you how complex and/or stable they are.
Might be able to hack up a quick perl/cgi script just to update phone
numbers?

Jack

Humor or Insanity?
http://www.geekweb.org