Re: Question about ppolicy usage

Hi Michael,

On 2019. 04. 01. 18:07, Michael Ströder wrote:
> On 4/1/19 5:32 PM, Mikael Bak wrote:
>> 1) I want to be able to disable users. I can do this by setting:
>> pwdAccountLockedTime: 000001010000Z
>
> I'd recommend to use another attribute and define a ACL on
> attrs=userPassword for that.

Yes, I can do that, but I did not find any obvious choise of attribute
for this in the included schemas. What attribute do you recommend for this?

>> 2) I want to be able to set a date in the future when a user account
>> will expire / deactivate.
>>
>> I was hoping to be able to set "pwdAccountLockedTime" to a date in the
>> future and after that date the user account would be locked.
>>
>> Reading the source code for ppolicy I find an interesting block in the
>> function "account_locked()" at line 356:
>>
>> /* Still in the future? not yet in effect */
>> if (now < then)
>>  return 0;
>>
>> This leads me to believe that the author's intension may have been to
>> allow what I want to do.
>
> Note that semantics for 'pwdAccountLockedTime' are defined herein:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-behera-ldap-password-policy
>
> It does not mean what you want to achieve.

Thanks for the link to the ppolicy draft.

As I said, I realize ppolicy is probably not the best choise for what I
want to do. Unfortunately I did not find any other overlay module that
does what I would like to do. Are there any?

I'm very curious to know what others do in this situation.

> For Æ-DIR I defined custom meta attributes aeStatus, aeExpiryStatus,
> aeNotAfter etc.
>
> https://www.ae-dir.com/docs.html#schema-at-aeStatus

Thanks for the info.
How do handle the expiry in Æ-DIR? I have not found a way to construct
an ACL that can have "today" or "now" as a search parameter.

I'm quite new to LDAP, so a little help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mikael