Re: Is existing documentation kind of vague?

MJ J wrote:
> TLDR; in a split-brain situation, you could run into trouble. But this
> isn't the only place. Efffective systems monitoring is the key here.
>
> Long answer;
> [..]
> The solution I posted has been in production in a large, dynamic
> company for several years and never encountered a problem.

Maybe it works for you. But I still don't understand why you post such a
lengthy justification insisting on your MOD_INCREMENT / read-after-write
approach with possible race condition even in a single master deployment
while there are two proper solutions with just a few lines code more:

1. delete-by-value to provoke a conflict like the original poster
mentioned by pointing to
http://www.rexconsulting.net/ldap-protocol-uidNumber.html

2. MOD_INCREMENT with pre-read control

Of course none of the solutions work when hitting multiple providers
hard in a MMR setup or in a split-brain situation. One has to choose a
"primary" provider then.
BTW: AFAIK with FreeIPA each provider has its own ID range to prevent that.

Ciao, Michael.