Re: Antw: Re: Removing Berkeley DB Log Files

Nachricht <372CE42D6A64FB1C859F6418@[192.168.1.30]>:
> --On Thursday, September 07, 2017 12:03 PM -0400 Douglas Duckworth
> <dod2014@med.cornell.edu> wrote:
>

>> Why would you want to rename a subtree?  I can only think of a scenario
>> if for example we would have to sync with another LDAP cluster that
>> perhaps had ou=Accounts whereas we have ou=People.
>
> A subtree is simply any DN that has children.
>
> So if you, for example, had:
>
> dn: uid=jdoe, cn=people, dc=example, dc=com
> dn: signature=work, uid=jdoe, cn=people, dc=example, dc=com
>
> And jdoe got divorced and changed their last name, and wanted their uid
> updated, you could do a subtree rename to fix her entry and all children
> entries at the same time.  Otherwise, you'd have to either delete the

I think that's a good example why an ID should be different from the user's common (sur)name. If you have jdoe as memeber of some groups, youll have some additional fun unless LDAP is smart enough to adjust those...

Ideally IDs should be free of any semantics other than being unique (like random-based UUIDs).

Regards,
Ulrich