Re: Antw: Re: Removing Berkeley DB Log Files

Ah, this recursive change would be extremely useful for us given that example.  Thanks for pushing me to abandon bdb.  I'll do that once the old cluster's no longer in use.

On Sep 7, 2017 11:15 AM, "Quanah Gibson-Mount" <quanah@symas.com> wrote:
--On Thursday, September 07, 2017 12:03 PM -0400 Douglas Duckworth
<dod2014@med.cornell.edu> wrote:

> Why would you want to rename a subtree?  I can only think of a scenario
> if for example we would have to sync with another LDAP cluster that
> perhaps had ou=Accounts whereas we have ou=People.

A subtree is simply any DN that has children.

So if you, for example, had:

dn: uid=jdoe, cn=people, dc=example, dc=com
dn: signature=work, uid=jdoe, cn=people, dc=example, dc=com

And jdoe got divorced and changed their last name, and wanted their uid
updated, you could do a subtree rename to fix her entry and all children
entries at the same time.  Otherwise, you'd have to either delete the
existing entries and create new ones, or create new ones and delete the old
ones, etc.  Or stop everything, do an export, fix the data, reimport.

Product Architect
Symas Corporation
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.symas.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=lb62iw4YL4RFalcE2hQUQealT9-RXrryqt9KZX2qu2s&r=2Fzhh_78OGspKQpl_e-CbhH6xUjnRkaqPFUS2wTJ2cw&m=eaHUs775FiDziz6vOPByKLyL8czWp4lI31AYF8-i3C4&s=oOnY5I8rAHwXosqpofTs9gxnDk9jYzqhI4LgtQXzKeY&e=>