RE: Invalid credentials

> slapd -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf [other args ...]
> and
> slapcat -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf [other args e.g. -b 'dc=drbhome,dc=ca']
> should be operating on the same data.

I have been executing slapcat all by its lonesome on the command line, and
it gives me lovely, lovely output. No arguments at all. That was the basis
for my presumption that all the database info is where it's supposed to be.

> When you moved the LDAP database from the old machine to this one, you did
that via slapcat/slapadd, right? Did you empty out /var/lib/ldap (except for
DB_CONFIG) before slapadd?

Uh, er (stares at his shoes), no. And, no.

I *do* have all the files from the previous server (cp'd from the root
recursively to an external USB HD), and I figured I'd just need to copy them
to the appropriate directories and fiddle with a few config files. I figured
since I could successfully see what looked like the right data when I
executed slapcat that all was reasonably well with the world and I'd just
need to solve an ldap problem or two.

I do still have the original system drive from that old server (it's the
same computer, old and new, just new hard disks and a much newer Linux
distro installed). I could, in a pinch I suppose, open it back up, put the
old system drive in, boot to the old server, and do the ldap/Samba migration
the "proper" way, but is there no alternative?