Re: Have you seen this FUD - IT pros suffer OpenLDAP configuration headaches ?

Quoting "Paul B. Henson" <henson@acm.org>:

Really? It's amazing then how other enterprise scale software packages such as Apache httpd managed to survive using flat text file configuration models without inventing secure remote administration protocols for deploying that configuration.

Apache httpd was not responsible for providing core services and management interfaces inside of telecom networks (it was even so unsuitable as a middleware platform that java was used instead). LDAP, on the other hand was, and is a core component of every telecom network in existence.

Things like, oh I don't know, being able to dynamically crank up the logging level without disconnecting your clients in order to respond to and investigate alarms... Those are sort of important and stuff, you know, for a network to which 50 million phones are connected.

Back in 2002-2003, as a core architect I personally made the decision regarding which LDAP server software to use for a mobile network management system that still has a very large market share. If you use a mobile phone, chances are high that you are supported still today by the system I designed and implemented. I wrote a scathing report about the capabilities of OpenLDAP at the time, and I even shared it with Howard IIRC. I'm pretty sure I also discussed it with him in person in Tuebingen over dinner. OpenLDAP was not my choice, even though I did attend the developers conference and bring along a friend to boot.

Needless to say, the situation is completely reversed today and given the current capabilities of OpenLDAP, I wouldn't recommend anything else. Howard and crew have done one hell of a job positioning OpenLDAP so that it can be used inside the telecom arena. Little IT shops where you want LDAP to authenticate 10 users and you are never going to contribute anything except for complaints, you're simply not important in the grand scheme of things.

So before you all go blowing smoke out of your asses, Stroeder, that includes you, too, it might be wise not to underestimate with whom you are speaking.

-mike