Re: Upgrading from Ubuntu-packaged 2.4.28 to self-built 2.4.38

> Huh?  Why didn't you just use ldapmodify to modify it?  Or, slapcat your cn=config db, fix it in the LDIF, and reload it?

Couldn't use ldapmodify to modify it because slapd wasn't running.
Couldn't use ldapmodify to modify it whilst Ubuntu version was
installed because that would break *that* version. Couldn't use
ldapmodify to modify it whilst new version was installed because new
version wouldn't start.

I think, in retrospect, that I was hitting two problems - the wrong
path in cn=config and the wrong command to try and build a new
cn=config from LDIF. It is possible that the correct command (which I
eventually found in another mail thread) avoids this whole issue.