Upgrading from Ubuntu-packaged 2.4.28 to self-built 2.4.38

Our current implementation of OpenLDAP is Ubuntu 12.04 running version
2.4.28 which has been installed as a package.

To upgrade to 2.4.38, it looks like I need to remove that package and
then install my own built binaries.

Has anyone gone through this process before and got any tips/notes to
share? I'm particularly thinking that there will be some path changes
to contend with. For example, my main HDB database seems to be in
/var/lib/ldap but the migration steps suggest that everything is in
/usr/local/var/openldap-data/.

Clearly I can work through this but if someone has already done it and
can share lessons learnt, that would be much appreciated.

Philip