Re: Multi-Master OpenLDAP Replication for 3 nodes -- slapadd command failing

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, fal patel wrote:
> Thanks very much for your advice!  On to the next problem:
> I can't understand what in the world could be causing the following error:
> <<< dnPrettyNormal: <cn=config>, <cn=config>
> *<= str2entry: str2ad(changetype): attribute type undefined*
> slapadd: could not parse entry (line=48)
>
> Thanks again, and best regards

The sladpadd(8) manpage says:
-----
DESCRIPTION
       Slapadd is used to add entries specified in LDAP Directory Interchange
       Format (LDIF) to a slapd(8) database.  <...>
-----

Note the word "entries" there.  slapadd only accepts LDIF 'content'
records and not 'change' records.  So, this record in your LDIF:

dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: olcServerID
olcServerID: 1 ldap://10.12.223.10:389/
olcServerID: 2 ldap://10.12.223.11:389/
olcServerID: 3 ldap://10.12.223.12:389/

is not valid for slapadd.  If you want to alter entries like that then
you'll both
1) need to use the ldapmodify utility instead, and
2) make your input valid LDIF!

To elaborate on the latter:
 * an LDIF file cannot mix entry ('content') records and change records
 * each modification specified has to be terminated with a line containing
   just a hyphen; check ldif(5) or RFC 2849 for examples.

Philip Guenther