Re: Missing Syntax description in the cn=subschema's LDAPSyntaxes AT

On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:03 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:

> Le 2/14/12 1:19 PM, Michael Ströder a écrit :
>> Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>> In Apache Directory Studio and
>>> the Java LDAP API, it's a bit more annoying, as we try to load the full schema
>>> from the server to locally check that values are correct before sending them
>>> back to the server. We have a mechanism to 'bypass' the missing syntaxes, of
>>> course, but I think that from a completness POV, it would be better if
>>> OpenLDAP add those missing syntaxes...
>>
>> As a developer of a generic, schema-aware LDAPv3 client you should prepared to deal with incomplete/false subschema. Otherwise your client will joke very often.
> We *are* ready to handle such schemas. M$ AD is most certainly the worst use case around. The question is more about OpenLDAP compliance

Compliance?

RFC 4512:
   Clients SHOULD NOT assume that a published subschema is complete,
   that the server supports all of the schema elements it publishes, or
   that the server does not support an unpublished element.

> : does those missing Syntaxes deserve an ITS or not.

Generally speaking, if it's missing, it's missing for a reason...  generally that reason is the syntax is not implemented, or implemented to the degree needed to one to have a userApplications attribute using that syntax.

This can be viewed as a signal to the client application that listed attributes of that syntax cannot be stored/modified in the subtree of the subschema controls.

-- Kurt