Re: Loading LDAP schema files into cn=config

On 29/06/2011 16:46, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

I have been honest enough during this thread to admit that I felt I may
have missed something obvious. But I have to point out that all of the
Google searches I have done on this topic have returned posts similar to
the one I pointed you to, which you are saying are wrong.

There is a lot of mis-information out there regarding cn=config but I at
least I understand that I need to come to the project itself to get some
answers.

I understand your frustration here, but it will also take some effort on
behalf of the project to ensure that the documentation can answer
questions such as mine - I've been using openldap for 3 years now, and
cn=config still takes some getting used to.

I think that putting the cn=config backend in some other directory instead of /etc/ldap/slapd.d (that's for Debian, don't know for other distributions) could help a lot.

Most sysadmin expect to find text configuration files under /etc, not a kind of testual DB. I already filed a bug for Debian because that choice is like looking for trouble.

Having it in a binary format could be even better, so people will not mislead thinking they are some kind of split configuration files.

Regards
Simone
--
Simone Piccardi                                 Truelite Srl
piccardi@truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6