Re: (ITS#6666) Feature Request: Triggers implementation

On 23/5/2011 10:07 ÎÎ, Maarten Vanraes wrote:

Well, i haven't had any time yet of cleaning it up, and atm it doesn't even
say yet WHAT exactly was modified, but i was planning on doing that, together
with the cn=config adaptation, and put it somewhere for download (and since i'm
a Mageia packager probably package it for mageia).

i can probably give you it privately, if you're urgently insterested.

Thanks Maarten,

Quite nice of you. Actually, I am not in a panic (thankfully); additionally I am not a developer, so it would not be easy for me to work on it, even if I would surely have uses for it.

Thinking from an admin's point of view, I look forward to something that would be usable, safe and (at least) a bit flexible, hopefully without resorting to (anything more than very basic high-level) programming.

I would think that for such an overlay to be generic enough, it should be able to accept a config on what attribute(s) we want to monitor (whose change will trigger an event), and then provide a notification with (probably the initial and) the new value of the attribute and call an external command (using back-sock?). [It could also be extended to allow the definition of filters to narrow the monitoring range, if needed.]

Such an overlay, I humbly believe, would be a valuable addition to openldap standard collection of overlays.

All the best,
Nick