Re: (ITS#6666) Feature Request: Triggers implementation

Op maandag 23 mei 2011 21:50:39 schreef Nick Milas:
> On 23/5/2011 10:07 ÎÎ, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> > Well, i haven't had any time yet of cleaning it up, and atm it doesn't
> > even
> > say yet WHAT exactly was modified, but i was planning on doing that,
> > together with the cn=config adaptation, and put it somewhere for
> > download (and since i'm a Mageia packager probably package it for
> > mageia).
> >
> > i can probably give you it privately, if you're urgently insterested.
>
> Thanks Maarten,
>
> Quite nice of you. Actually, I am not in a panic (thankfully);
> additionally I am not a developer, so it would not be easy for me to
> work on it, even if I would surely have uses for it.
>
> Thinking from an admin's point of view, I look forward to something that
> would be usable, safe and (at least) a bit flexible, hopefully without
> resorting to (anything more than very basic high-level) programming.
>
> I would think that for such an overlay to be generic enough, it should
> be able to accept a config on what attribute(s) we want to monitor
> (whose change will trigger an event), and then provide a notification
> with (probably the initial and) the new value of the attribute and call
> an external command (using back-sock?). [It could also be extended to
> allow the definition of filters to narrow the monitoring range, if needed.]
>
> Such an overlay, I humbly believe, would be a valuable addition to
> openldap standard collection of overlays.
>
> All the best,
> Nick

it's not nearly that fancy: atm it does this:

- accept a configuration item that gives a command (in my case, a shell script)
- it triggers this command via forking a execve call, ie: it calls that
script, in the background
- it passes the DN being modified
- it passes the type of operation
- it passes the old DN (MODRDN)

planned features:
- cn=config handling
- passing the attribute being modified (MODIFY)

possibly, i might pass all attributes and values of the modified DN

in my case, atm, i handle stuff via the shell script and decide if i do
something for this modified DN or not.

Kind regards,

Maarten