Re: Syncprov checkpoint and sessionlog with cn=config

Jaap Winius wrote:
Quoting Howard Chu<hyc@symas.com>:

Jaap Winius wrote:

.. but these configuration attributes are not well documented
yet, at least not for cn=config. They're not yet included in the
slapo-syncprov man page and (correct me if I'm wrong) the online
documentation doesn't seem to mention them either.

They are simply LDAP schema elements. Their definitions are always
present in the directory itself.

Okay, at least there's that, but if not in "man slapo-syncprov", then
I was kind of hoping/expecting that this information would be included
in Chapter 18 (Replication) of the online documentation. That page
already mentions the slapd.conf versions of these directives, but not
the ones for cn=config. They could at least be included in one of the
cn=config examples there.

You're welcome to submit a patch for the docs.

As lead developer on the Project I focus on working on the things that would be difficult for anyone else to do. For stuff like this where the information is already available, it's up to the rest of the community to fill in.

% ldapsearch -x -H ldap://:9011 -D cn=config -W -b
cn=schema,cn=config -s base | grep -A 2 OLcfgOv..:1

People who understand LDAP don't need to be reminded of things like this. They already understand that LDAP-based configuration means that everything is already part of the LDAP schema, and LDAP schema is self-describing so no external document is absolutely required. (Conversely, people who grumble that LDAP-based config is too complicated and a bad idea simply don't understand LDAP...)

Very handy!

Thanks,

Jaap

--