Re: Setting up a chain overlay

 On 09/22/2010 05:52 PM, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Bram Cymet<bcymet@cbnco.com>  writes:

  On 09/22/2010 07:27 AM, masarati@aero.polimi.it wrote:
Please try this patch
<ftp://ftp.openldap.org/incoming/pierangelo-masarati-2010-04-29-chain.1.patch>,
posted some time ago in partial response to ITS#6540 and report.
Thanks,
p.

I will give the patch a try.

What is the patch doing? I am guessing it will fix the illegal
configuration problem.
It comments some braindead checks that I don't even remember what were
there for, that prevent reloading a valid configuration from cn=config.
Consider that back-config support in back-ldap was added during the
development of back-config itself, so some odd configuration cases that
worked at that time might no longer be valid now.

Should I use the configuration I gave above or should it be modified?
The configuration should be fine; even the contents of the configuration
database (back-config) should be valid.  After applying the patch, slapd
should restart fine, loading slapo-chain(5) as it is configured now.

p.

Hi,

I have applied the patch and now after adding my config I am able to
restart slapd. The only problem now is that the chaining has stopped
working. I am not sure why it worked before and not now.
Will that patch be applied to future version of openldap?

At this point I am trying to figure out the best way to take a config like:

overlay                 chain
chain-rebind-as-user    FALSE
chain-uri               "ldap://ldap1.example.com";
chain-rebind-as-user    TRUE
chain-idassert-bind     bindmethod="simple"
                         binddn="cn=Auth,dc=example,dc=com"
                         credentials="secret"
                         mode="self"
chain-uri               "ldap://ldap2.example.com";
chain-idassert-bind     bindmethod="simple"
                         binddn="cn=Auth,dc=example,dc=com"
                         credentials="secret"
                         mode="none"

and properly add it to the cn=config directory.
In this particular case, overlay chain should be a global
configuration, not a database specific configuration.
This is a working example:

<global configuration>
overlay chain
chain-uri ldap://some.host
chain-idassert-bind
         bindmethod=simple
         binddn="cn=replicator,o=avci,c=de"
         credentials="secret"
         mode=self
         flags=non-prescriptive
chain-return-error TRUE
chain-rebind-as-user TRUE
chain-tls start
         tls_cacert="/etc/openldap/certs/avciCA.pem"
         tls_reqcert=demand
database        config
rootdn          cn=config
syncrepl rid=042
database        hdb
suffix          o=avci,c=de
syncrepl rid=099

-Dieter

Yes I do want it to be a global configuration. However what you have included above would go into the slapd.conf config file correct? My setup uses the online config where the config is stored in ldap itself (well really in flat files in /etc/openldap/slap.d).

So what I need is an ldif file like the one that I had in my original post so that I can add the chain-overlay properly.

Thanks,

--
Bram Cymet
Software Developer