Re: How to set BDB "read-only" before slapcat command ?

--On Monday, February 09, 2009 3:44 PM +0000 Andrew Hall <whippyhubbles@googlemail.com> wrote:

The possible problem I see with that setup is what happens if the
slapcat occurs during an update from the provider to the consumer ?

I'm not sure why you feel it is necessary to set the server read-only before you run slapcat anyway. Do you actually have a process that knows exactly what changes occurred in any given second, so that, if say, your backup starts at 1:00:00, you can then replay all the changes from that point in time?

If you do, then it doesn't matter whether or not it was in read-only. Simply replay the changes. If you don't, then it doesn't matter whether or not it was in read-only, because you don't know what changes happened after that point.

I honestly am not aware of anyone who bothers to put their DB into read-only before slapcatting, although they may be out there.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc