Re: Automatically create home directory uppon Email login

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Stelios A. <stelios.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've migrate an old Sun Directory Server to OpenLDAP (version 2.4.9 on
> Ubuntu 8.04 server) and setup a master/slave with syncrepl for data
> replication betwwen 2 servers.
> 1st server hold the master ldap and second the slave along with the
> email server (Sendmail + Dovecot).
> Email server requires ofcourse a home directory with a mbox file etc.
> Is there a way to avoid creating each users home directory and setup
> then his/her permissions?
> There are 980 users in the base dc and trying to figure out a way to
> avoid creating all this directories along with chmod manually.

IMHO a proper solution is to use virtual users, this way you won't
have to have system users for mail to be delivered.

that being said i don't know how would one create home dirs on the
login. you can use a workaround tho, create a script which creates the
home dirs of users (and you can run it from cron to make sure home
dirs for new mails get created as well).

For far too long, power has been concentrated in the hands of "root"
and his "wheel" oligarchy. We have instituted a dictatorship of the
users. All system administration functions will be handled by the
People's Committee for Democratically Organizing the System (PC-DOS).