Can ldap backend strip paged result critial extension?

I am trying to install an application that sets the paged result extension as critical in all its searches. I tried to connect this application to an existing LDAP server which does not support that extension and I get error=12, Critical extension is unavailable.

I am not able to modify the settings of the application nor the existing LDAP server.

I thought to try OpenLDAP as a proxy between the app and the existing server. I installed OpenLDAP 2.4 and added database of type ldap, with suffix and uri for the existing LDAP server. Searches work great using ldapsearch (data is retrieved from the existing server) but searches from the application still return error 12.

Is there any way I can instruct the ldap backend to strip the paged result request to the existing server, yet still have the OpenLDAP proxy honor the app's request?

Kent Loving