Re: Debugging a module

Howard Chu wrote:
> autogroup isn't supposed to perform any expansion during searches.
> That's not what it does.

So, you're saying that dynlist should perform the expansion, and autogroup just allows you to filter it?  The autogroup
man page makes no mention of needing the dynlist module (only the dynlist schema), which to me seems to imply that it's
intended to supersede, not complement, dynlist.  However, I could certainly have subjectively misinterpreted the
documentation, or it might just not be documented at all (in which case I'm happy to submit a patch after having
inquired with the two major developers of the module as to the patch's accuracy.

Several previous on-list postings about this aren't clear as to whether or not they use autogroup instead of or in
addition to dynlist.  And, when I tested the use of both together, the results aren't what I expect; e.g., the following
query returns nothing:

ldapsearch -x -w SECRET -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -b "cn=testgroup,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL '(uid=user1)'

... whereas the same query without the trailing '(uid=user1)' returns a group full of member uid's:

ldapsearch -x -w SECRET -D "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" -b "cn=testgroup ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com" -LLL
dn: cn=testgroup,ou=Groups,dc=example,dc=com
ou: Groups
cn: testgroup
objectClass: groupOfURLs
memberURL: ldap:///ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com?uid?sub?(&(employeeType=Developer
 )(objectClass=exampleEmployee))
member: uid=user1,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com
member: uid=user2,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com
member: uid=user3,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com

If I use autogroup alone, it does not work either.  So, I assumed this to be a problem in the module with whatever is
supposed to trigger the expansion and was hoping to try and ferret it out with gdb instead of bothering the list with
several posts full of output without having tried to debug it myself first.  But, if I've interpreted it incorrectly and
the premise for my investigation is invalid, I'm happy to be told exactly how to achieve the ability to filter
dynamically created groups using one or both of those overlays before assuming and investigating a bug!

For reference, the following posts are examples of what I'm referring to:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200802/msg00211.html
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200812/msg00030.html

As always, I appreciate any and all advice!

Regards,
Ryan