RE: BDB 4.3 instability

Howard,

I am running OpenLDAP on a paired down version of RHEL5.1.  We build
OpenLDAP and roll our own RPM due to our requirement for the PPOLICY
module and our desire to be able to pick up different OpenLDAP versions
for new features and bug fixes.  Yesterday I tried building 2.4 due to
your recommendation from another post, and got the following build
error:

checking for Berkeley DB major version... 4
checking for Berkeley DB minor version... 3
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.3)... yes
checking for Berkeley DB version match... yes
checking for Berkeley DB thread support... yes
checking Berkeley DB version for BDB/HDB backends... no
configure: error: BDB/HDB: BerkeleyDB version incompatible

During my investigation I discovered the FAQ about BBD 4.3 being
unstable.  I took this information to my platform/base team and we
discussed upgrading the library for all of our apps, as it's a commonly
used shared library.  They want to bring this info to RedHat and they
asked me to dig into the statement that BDB 4.3 is unstable.

I do appreciate the help and didn't intend it to come across otherwise.

Thanks

Craig