Re: slap* tools require id2entry.bdb to run ?

Josh Miller skrev, on 10-01-2008 21:51:

Is it a requirement for the id2entry.bdb file to exist prior to any slap* tools successfully running or would this be a bug?

You take pride in citing RHCE in your sig, so therefore this response is longer than I'd normally aim at.

It is not normal, neither is it any bug in OL.

OpenLDAP 2.4.7

Where did this come from? CentOS5 is supplied with 2.3.27.

Berkley-DB 4.6

Where did this come from? CentOS5 is supplied with 4.3.29.

I dislike to the point of suicide installing any software on my machines that are not rpm-based. This after more than 10 years of SYSV Unix/Red Hat Linux experience, packages and source installs. So I often have to write my own rpm specs.

CentOS 5

I get a Segmentation Fault every time I run slaptest or slapindex if I have not yet started slapd (to prompt initial creation of id2entry.bdb in my data directory).

You can't mix up bdb versions on the same machine, unless the versions are discrete; i.e. so separated from each other that they can never interact. This includes builds using, for example, the db.h header.

You are using CentOS5, ok, I'll give 2 examples:

1: I have to support RHEL5 (exactly the same as CentOS5) and experience
(RHEL3 and 4) has taught me that Red Hat delivers useless OpenLDAP
servers. Moreover, the bdb (db4 and db4-devel) version supplied with
RHEL5 (db4 4.3.29, which are necessary for countless RHEL5 utilities) is
directly disavowed by the OL developers for 2.3.x and will cause an
outright rejection on any attempted OL 2.4.x build. On my RHEL5 systems I wanted to build on my 4 years of OL experience and continue to use
latest stable OL and not be subject to Red Hat whims. Because I'm a Red
Hat person (warts, blemishes and all, but also multiple good points) I stick to Red Hat Linux as basic OS. Including Fedora.

2: On my FC6 test machine, at the moment I run OL 2.4.7.

On both platforms I insist on rpms, right? I use Buchan Milne's OL srpms, available at http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/. The srpms get rebuilt on my systems; it's often only necessary to substitute latest source in the rpm spec; sometimes more work is necessary.

Buchan delivers discrete db4 stuff (as well as OL stuff) that can never conflict with Red Hat's. Obviously it's in many ways a compromise, but this approach does mean that it can exist together with Red Hat's on the same machine.

Lastly, you want to use db4 4.6, right? I'd forget about this for the time being if I were you. Getting OL 2.4.x working correctly is far more important than subjectively choosing a db4 version. Patched 4.2.52 works fine for now, I'm sure Buchan will get around to incorporating 4.6 as soon as possible.

Example:

# /etc/init.d/ldap stop
# rm -rf /var/lib/openldap-data/*
# rm -rf /etc/openldap/slapd.d && mkdir /etc/openldap/slapd.d

...(modify slapd.conf)...

# slaptest -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d

Seg Faults every time. I even get a seg fault if I simply run the following:

# slaptest -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf

No problem with the above approach.

(Possibly useless gdb output http://ditree.com/work/gdb.ol2.4.7.out )

Well, there you go.