ldappasswd command line options

I am trying to use the ldappasswd –s option to set a users password but if I use certain characters i.e. ‘$&()  it won’t run the command because of the special characters, if I enclose the whole password in double quotes it at least accepts the command but it doesn’t change the password correctly because I can’t login using the new password.  If I run the ldappasswd –S so it prompts and I manually enter the same password it sets it correctly and I can then login with the new password.  What is the difference on how the –s and –S sets the password.  I need to use the –s for a webpage that I have setting the password.  Thank you