Re: Deleting subtree - server side

Michael Ströder wrote:
> Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>>> Then please remove it from rootDSE. It does not make sense at all to be
>>> advertised in 'supportedControl'.
>> It's hidden, in fact.  You're not supposed to treat HEAD as released code,
>> and you won't see it advertised in re24 (until it works, at least).
>
> But it's not hidden behind LDAP_DEVEL.

Yes, it is: it's registered as SLAP_CTRL_HIDE

>> In any case, there's nothing wrong in advertising support for a control
>> and returning unwillingToPerform or unavailableCriticalExtension: in both
>> cases it's correct.  It means that the DSA recognizes the control but
>> either does not want, or cannot apply it in the case requested by the
>> client.  It's LDAPv3 anyway.
>
> I expected this answer.

:)

> But it makes life of a client developer even
> more miserable than it already is. See, I'd like to implement support
> for draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete in web2ldap. And off course I'd like to
> provide an appropriate UI. Hence I have to somewhat trust what's there
> in rootDSE in attributes supported* (except things like StartTLS ext.
> op. off course).

But, for example, there's cases like syncrepl, which is advertised by
the rootDSE but only supported by a fraction of the databases, namely
those that instantiate the syncprov overlay (and not all of the backends
actaully support it).

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team