Re: Deleting subtree - server side

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> I recall seeing some old specification (e.g.
> <draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete>, expired 2001).

I'm confused now. HEAD announces LDAP_SERVER_TREE_DELETE_OID
(1.2.840.113556.1.4.805) in its rootDSE. So I thought this control is
already implemented in HEAD (upcoming 2.4). Yes?

> A much better approach
> would be to use LDAP transactions (e.g. <draft-zeilenga-ldap-txn>) so
> that the operation either fails or succeeds atomically.

Hmm, but with this approach the client would still have to send all the
delete requests for single entries. Yes? This is bad for performance
(very chatty on the wire, many LDAP requests to process in the frontend
of the server. etc.). I think subtree deletion could be handled on the
server-side more efficiently. From the client's perspective it's atomic
processing of a single delete request.

Ciao, Michael.