From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 9:28 PM
To: Rick Tautin
Cc: Pierangelo Masarati; openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Problem changing passwords after import

Rick Tautin wrote:
> The directory is the only place that there is user information.  I
took
> all the entries out of the old password file and the only thing that
is
> in there are the local accounts.  So if it is not getting its
> credentials from the directory I don't know where it would be getting
it
> from.  Also when I stop the server I am unable to check mail or ftp to
> our servers.

You're missing the crucial point that Unix services can authenticate
users
against an LDAP database without performing an LDAP Bind operation on
that
user. I.e., with sufficient privileges nss_ldap can just retrieve a
user's
userPassword attribute and authenticate against it when it is stored in
crypt(3) format, even if slapd doesn't itself support crypt (or the same

version of crypt).