From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@zimbra.com]
Sent: Tue 6/5/2007 4:51 PM
To: West, Jon (NIH/NIMH) [C]; openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: TLS bare minimum

--On June 5, 2007 3:08:17 PM -0400 "West, Jon (NIH/NIMH) [C]"
<wjon@mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> I would like to set up TLS on our server. Looking through the
> Administration guide, I am unsure if I need both server AND client
> certificates. As I understand it I am supposed to first see if I can use
> the command line tools to establish the TLS connection then attempt to
> set up a client. So I have created a server certificate. I would like to
> do this with a test system. The test server is running 2.0.27-22 and our
> actual server runs 2.2.13-6.4E.. How can I be sure that I am getting an
> encrypted connection. I am also unsure of how to use LDAP search since
> whenever I do use it I get errors but when I verify the contents of our
> directory with other software I can see the things I'm looking for.
> Again this is a question about LDAPsearch, not the other software. I have
> a user called tester in my  dc=test,dc=com test server (Is it a problem
> that I use test.com when the machine is not on that domain?) what would
> be the command to get the LDAP information about tester?

I think you need to seriously examine running modern, supported versions of
OpenLDAP (2.3.35 is the current release).  But no, you don't need a client
cert to establish TLS.  The client must have access to the CA that signed
the server cert, however.  Have you read the man page on ldapsearch?  Do
you have any example of how you are using ldapsearch?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer