Re: Documentation

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:05 AM -0400 louis gonzales <gonzales@linuxlouis.net> wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement.

You are obviously welcome to disagree. I will note, however, that I periodically browse the how-to's returned by google, and contact (or attempt to at least) the authors to get them to take them down or update them. So I have a rather good idea of what is out there. And the majority of it is not correct(*Incorrect relative to what? If the doc captured a successful deploy for the variables involved with the person deploying, than it is obviously _correct_ to them, or?*), or at least not correct in relation to the current release series (2.3)(*If someone chooses to use a document outlining a deploy of 1.x.y.z for a 2.3 software bundle, then that's their problem and they'll discover that soon enough)*. And I've seen them cause endless confusion(*re-enforces my point, about relativity, for whom does it cause this? To the person deploye 1.xxy on 2.3, sure, sounds like they're already confused :) *), both on the list and the #ldap channel on freenode. I'm glad you had a good experience, but you are the exception, rather than the rule (unfortunately)(*Not an exception by any means, just not confused :D )*.

I think the take away from this should be:
- Do the due proper pre-deployment research
- Understand at least what versions one is attempting to deploy - based on features necessary to meet deployment objective
- Docs on the internet (good/bad/accurate/inaccurate) need to be thought through and aligned with 1st bullet
- Docs on the internet provide good referential/supplemental material (good practice is to ensure versions outlined in docs, apply to your scenario)
- Statement about "bad and incorrect" documents is certainly true to the extent that they exist ( my point IS that both lend insight into the correct path, namely getting successful deployment )
-- No two deployments will _ever_ be identical 100% - there will always be variables when dealing with software (while humankind has created many marvels, we still have the problem of proving 100% perfection in logic)

:)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html

-- Email: louis.gonzales@linuxlouis.net WebSite: http://www.linuxlouis.net "Open the pod bay doors HAL!" -2001: A Space Odyssey "Good morning starshine, the Earth says hello." -Willy Wonka